Paired with a salad or vegetable, these Sloppy Joes make a complete meal. They’re tasty and so easy to prepare. They would also make a great addition to your Super Bowl menu. Enjoy!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese chopped
- 6 brioche hamburger buns (or bun type of your choice)*
- Add ground beef to a large cast iron skillet** and brown until a deep brown crust appears before breaking the beef apart.
- Stir the ground beef and brown until a deep crust appears on about 50% or so of the beef.
- Remove the beef and drain the fat. Set aside. Add the bacon to the pan,
- Cook the bacon until crisp, then remove to cool and crumble.
- Add the diced onion to the pan.
- Let brown 1-2 minutes before stirring. Stir, then let brown another 1-2 minutes before stirring again.
- Add the beef back to the pan.
- In a small cup, mix the beef broth and cornstarch together.
- Add the ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, and beef broth/cornstarch mixture into the pan.
- Cook until the mixture has only a small amount of liquid, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the bacon back into the pan, and stir to combine.
- Turn off the heat, add in the cheddar cheese and fold into the meat with a spatula until just melted.
- Serve on toasted brioche buns.
*Because of the liquid content of the meat, and the mixture is heavy, regular hamburger buns would most likely break apart while eating.
**Using a cast iron skillet is not mandatory. Any large skillet will do. However, the crust that forms on the meat may not be as deep.