I found this recipe a long time ago and finally made it back in December. So glad that I did. It is SO delicious! The taste reminds me of lasagna but the preparation is so much easier. Paired with a salad and garlic bread, it’s a complete meal. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef (Note #1)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp dried onion flakes
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 (8-oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (8-oz) package medium egg noodles
- 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (Note #2)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (Note #3)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray a 9×13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Cook the ground beef in a skillet until no longer pink. Drain. Add garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, onion flakes, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and tomato sauce. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream and cottage cheese until smooth.
- Combine cooked noodles and cream cheese mixture. Spread in bottom of prepared pan. Top noodle mixture with meat sauce. Top casserole with mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, until bubbly.
- The ground beef can easily be substituted with ground turkey, ground chicken, or any ground meat that you would prefer. Also, the amount can be increased to 1 1/2 lbs. of ground meat without adjusting the amounts of the other ingredients.
- Instead of Mozzarella, I used Sargento 6 Cheese Italian. It’s a combination of Mozzarella, Smoked Provolone, Romano, Asiago, Fontina and Parmesan. It gives the dish a richer taste.
- Instead of basic Cheddar, I used Sargento 4 State Cheddar. It’s a combination of Wisconsin Sharp, New York Sharp, California Mild & Vermont Sharp. So delicious!